WHERE THE GOSPEL MEETS URBAN YOUTH
Internship caring for youth in an urban setting.
By selecting this service site, you will:
Engage in highly relational ministry
Learn about the experience of youth living in an urban setting
Develop your skills in a real-world environment
ABOUT YOUTH FOR CHRIST
Louisville, Kentucky is one of the most segregated cities in the United States. West Louisville in particular is a community that has been plagued by the effects of segregation (lack of resources, under-performing schools, heavy violence, and drug usage). The goal of Youth For Christ is to build authentic Christ-sharing relationships with the youth living in this specific urban area. Many of the youth who come to Youth For Christ live and go to school in a war zone and are regularly exposed to gang violence, immense poverty, and the continued drug epidemic, all within a densely populated area.
YOUR INTERNSHIP ROLE
Through an internship with Youth For Christ, you will have the opportunity to share your story with the youth of the community, allow them to share their stories with you, and connect it all to God’s story. You’ll do this through some programmed activities as well as organic relationship building.
DURING THIS INTERNSHIP, YOU WILL:
- Have 1:1 conversations, build relationships, and share the gospel both in word and deed with the youth who attend
- Simply have fun and play games with youth who attend
- Plan and lead devotional time
- Tutor on a variety of subjects
- Seek to build up the youth who attend in a holistic way. Topics discussed include: Basic Health and Safety, Educational Success, Spiritual and Moral Literacy, Economic Literacy, and Civic Literacy
• Year Long Interns will have opportunities to assume greater responsibility and build deeper relationships with youth
THIS MIGHT BE A GOOD FIT FOR YOU IF:
- You are self motivated and able to identify problems and come up with creative solutions
- You have passion for urban communities and would be eager to build relationships with youth in this context
- You are considering going into teaching, coaching, youth mentoring, or urban ministry
Looking for a different type of urban missions internship?
You may also be interested in:
WHAT ELSE WILL I EXPERIENCE BY SERVING WITH LTN?
LTN is a full-immersion urban missions experience. In addition to serving 20-30 hours a week with a nonprofit, missionaries will also spend time doing neighborhood outreach as well as investing in their own personal development and growth.