WHERE THE GOSPEL MEETS LOW INCOME COMMUNITIES
By selecting this service site, you will:
Improve accessibility to quality healthcare
Learn how medicine and faith can work together
Develop your skills in a real-world environment
ABOUT SHAWNEE CHRISTIAN HEALTHCARE
Shawnee Christian Healthcare Center (SCHC) is a 501(c)3 Federally Qualified Health Center located in the Shawnee Neighborhood of Louisville, Kentucky. They provide family health care, dental, mental health and supportive services. Their mission is to provide high quality care for every patient; to treat the whole person, emphasizing physical, spiritual, and psychological well-being.
YOUR INTERNSHIP ROLE
Interns will spend a portion of their time working to connect SCHC staff and clients with the community where it is located. This could be through health fairs or other local community events but could also include one-on-one interactions with people in the community. This internship is a good mix of administrative and client interaction and even has room for creative thinking. For example, past LTN interns helped create and upkeep a community garden to be enjoyed and used by people in the neighborhood!
DURING THIS INTERNSHIP, YOU WILL:
- Assist with the planning and execution of community outreach
- Prepare materials to be handed out during outreach
- Work the front desk in the medical or dental office as needed
- Help with administrative tasks as needed
- Help create fliers to raise awareness of SCHC in community
- [Optional: Assist with social media and communication!]
- Year Long Interns will have the additional opportunity to assist with hospitality and patient engagement
- Year Long Interns will work the front desk in the medical or dental office as needed
THIS MIGHT BE A GOOD FIT FOR YOU IF:
- You are curious about how medicine and Christian faith can go together in a professional environment
- You have a passion for accessibility of healthcare
- You are passionate about giving back to the community
Looking for a different type of urban missions internship?
You may also be interested in:
WHAT ELSE WILL I EXPERIENCE BY SERVING WITH LTN?
LTN is a full-immersion urban missions experience. In addition to serving 20-30 hours a week with a nonprofit, missionaries will also spend time doing neighborhood outreach as well as investing in their own personal development and growth.