WHERE THE GOSPEL MEETS SPECIAL NEEDS FAMILIES
By selecting this service site, you will:
Make an impact serving those often overlooked
Learn about ministry to those with special needs
Develop your skills in a real-world environment
ABOUT BARREN HEIGHTS
The mission of Barren Heights is to love and encourage families of children with physical or developmental disabilities. They do this primarily by providing free weekend retreats and community outreach events for these families.
There are over 54 million families in the United States that are affected by disabilities. As one of the most overlooked groups of people, there are very few places where these families feel loved, accepted, and safe. Since Barren Heights’ first retreat in 2004, they have hosted over 250 family retreats impacting over 1000 families and 5,000 individuals from 17 states. Beyond the numbers, their impact is primarily seen in the individual life transformation and growth for each of their guests. They seek to meet people right where they are. Because of this, families are coming to them in search of encouragement and rejuvenation and, in turn, are encountering the community of Christ like never before.
YOUR INTERNSHIP ROLE
Spend the bulk of your internship serving special needs families at the Barren Heights’ Community Center. Through the Community Center, Barren Heights focuses on forming deep, lasting relationships with faith, fun, food, and fellowship! They host a wide variety of men’s, women’s, couples, and family events that include activities such as nutrition counseling, mom’s night out, sensory-friendly Christmas and Easter parties, ice cream socials, movie nights, church services, group outings throughout the city, and more! Interns serving with Barren Heights will have the ability to support the work of this ministry administratively in addition to assisting with the planning, organization, and facilitation of these events.
DURING THIS INTERNSHIP, YOU WILL:
- Greeting guests as they come in the office
- Help facilitate a monthly summer group – mom’s craft group, kids craft, etc.
- Send thank you notes to the volunteers of events & retreat.
- Assist our programs coordinator with Summer Events and Retreats (such as the annual Ice Cream Social!)
- Pursuing larger projects such as growing partnerships and connecting with churches to assist them with strengthening their disability outreach and ministry.
- Year Long Interns will have the opportunity to assist the team to help prep for the next year’s retreat season – touching base with volunteers and guests, helping with recruitment, taking day trips with staff to the camp to help prep the facilities, etc.
- Year Long Interns will also have that ability to help with A LOT more events! (Annual Benefit Dinner, a huge sensory friendly Christmas party, a Christmas shop for families to come and shop for free for their families, Moms Night Out, etc.)
THIS MIGHT BE A GOOD FIT FOR YOU IF:
- You have a heart for caregivers & those affected by disability
- You are flexible and willing to jump in and help in different capacities
- You are goofy and willing to have fun while loving on others as the hands and feet of Christ
- You are a good blend of Mary & Martha (present, loving, AND organized)
Looking for a different type of urban missions internship?
You may also be interested in:
WHAT ELSE WILL I EXPERIENCE BY SERVING WITH LTN?
LTN is a full-immersion urban missions experience. In addition to serving 20-30 hours a week with a nonprofit, missionaries will also spend time doing neighborhood outreach as well as investing in their own personal development and growth.