WHERE THE GOSPEL MEETS REFUGEE WOMEN & TEENS
By selecting this service site, you will:
Learn to combine business and mission
Care for vulnerable women and teens
Develop your skills in a real-world environment
ABOUT MAYA COLLECTION
MAYA Collection exists to help refugee women and teen girls resettled in their community feel valued and experience belonging. They do this by sharing the love of God and fostering fellowship among women as they learn new skills and create unique handcrafted goods, allowing them to build confidence and earn income. It first began in 2009 as a Bible study for Nepali refugees in Louisville. When leaders saw the practical need for financial independence and opportunities for skilled work among the refugee women, MAYA Collection was born. Today, MAYA Collection artisans meet weekly at Hope Place, where they work alongside volunteers and staff to design and produce handcrafted products to sell locally and online.
YOUR INTERNSHIP ROLE
Interns will work alongside artisans, seeking to build relationships share their faith. Refugee women from many countries and religious backgrounds work at MAYA as artisans, and the staff and volunteers are in a unique position to share the gospel and invite women into a relationship with Christ while also caring for their practical needs. Additionally, interns are invited to work with MAYA’s teen girls on Wednesday afternoons where MAYA teaches life skills, prevention training, and Biblical devotions.
Interns will also help at the Bloom House which is a house adjacent to MAYA where products are sold. Bloom House also serves as a refugee home for young women in MAYA who need temporary shelter. Interns will help develop plans and activities to bring new customers to Bloom House to learn more about MAYA’s vision and ministry.
DURING THIS INTERNSHIP, YOU WILL:
- Use creative innovation to empower refugee women and teens
- Help design and create journals, jewelry, sewing products, leather goods etc.
- Train and teach the artisans on what you have designed
- Mentor and share Jesus with the women and teens you are serving!
- Visit neighborhoods where refugee families are living to develop new friends who might want to join MAYA
- Year Long Interns will assist with classes and/or workshops where MAYA will teach craft projects to the community to raise awareness
- Year Long Interns will work to plan and recruit volunteers to plant flower beds at the Bloom House for the spring, summer and fall
THIS MIGHT BE A GOOD FIT FOR YOU IF:
- You are flexible and have a positive attitude
- You are willing to learn new skills
- You have the ability to take initiative to get things done
- You are interested in how business and mission can work together to serve those in need
Looking for a different type of urban missions internship?
You may also be interested in:
WHAT ELSE WILL I EXPERIENCE BY SERVING WITH LTN?
LTN is a full-immersion urban missions experience. In addition to serving 20-30 hours a week with a nonprofit, missionaries will also spend time doing neighborhood outreach as well as investing in their own personal development and growth.