WHAT IS THE NEED?
Serve refugee women and teens through an internship with our partner, MAYA Collection. MAYA Collection exists to help refugee women resettled in our community feel valued and experience belonging. They do this by sharing the love of God and fostering fellowship among women as they learn new skills and create unique handcrafted goods allowing them to build confidence and earn income. It first began in 2009 as a Bible study for Nepali refugees in Louisville. When leaders saw the practical need for financial independence and opportunities for skilled work among the refugee women, MAYA Collection was born. Today, MAYA Collection artisans meet weekly at Hope Place, where they work alongside volunteers and staff to design and produce items to sell locally and online.
The staff and volunteers of MAYA Collection seek to build relationships with the women to foster biblical discipleship and gospel opportunities. There are refugee women from many countries and religious backgrounds, and the staff and volunteers are in a unique position to share the gospel and invite women into a relationship with Christ while also caring for their practical needs.
OPPORTUNITIES TO SERVE
Interning with MAYA Collection:
- Use creative innovation to empower refugee women and teens
- Design and create journals, jewelry, sewing products, leather goods etc.
- Train and teach the artisans on what you have designed
- Mentor and share Jesus with the women and teens you are serving!
- Visit neighborhoods where refugee families are living to develop new friends who might want to join MAYA
SLOTS AVAILABLE: 3 slots for women